October 5, 2009

E. Coli Path Shows Flaws in Beef Inspection

By Kelley Luckstein

Stephanie Smith, a children’s dance instructor, thought she had a stomach virus. The aches and cramping werestephanie-smith-nyt tolerable that first day, and she finished her classes.


Then her diarrhea turned bloody. Her kidneys shut down. Seizures knocked her unconscious. The convulsions grew so relentless that doctors had to put her in a coma for nine weeks. When she emerged, she could no longer walk. The affliction had ravaged her nervous system and left her paralyzed.


Ms. Smith, 22, was found to have a severe form of food-borne illness caused by E. coli, which Minnesota officials traced to the hamburger that her mother had grilled for their Sunday dinner in early fall 2007…


To control Ms. Smith’s seizures, doctors put her in a coma and flew her to the Mayo Clinic, where doctors worked to save her.


NY Times by Michael Moss, 10/3/09

Tags: E. Coli, Mayo Clinic Rochester

Please sign in or register to post a reply.
Contact Us · Privacy Policy